Saturday, March 28, 2009

College Freshman

Remember what the toughest thing about your freshman year in college was?

Was it:

Meeting your roommate?
Choosing your classes?
Deciding which fraternity party to attend?
Which sorority to join?
How to get out of Intro to Calculus?

Those are all tough...but what about the under appreciated but valuable: time management

I never quite believed anyone who told me that. What could be so tough about it?

I quickly learned that it was essential to my survival! Learning to write a paper on the days where I didnt have class instead of sunbathing in front of the dorm, or going to the library instead of watching The Real World marathon. And once I got it down, I was a pro. I was probably more organized than a college student should be--I look back and wish I had been a little more carefree at times--not worrying if my day didn't go exactly how I had it listed in my planner.

So here I am again, learning the importance of time management. No, I don't spend my time watching reality TV marathons (although they come in handy at 3 am when a certain little fellow is hungry), but I'm learning the art of balancing LIFE.

Im currently enrolled in:

Intro to Poopy Diapers
The Art of Burping

Soothing a Fussy Babe 101

House Management

Reintroduction of Romance

Finance in 2009


and my favorite...a literature class:
To Return to Work, or Not Return to Work? That is the question...

The time management struggle started the day I got admitted to the hospital: it meant that I would be starting parenthood behind the curve--simply because I hadn't gotten everything organized and put in it's place--I wasn't done nesting. And it felt like freshman year all over again--I wanted to become a PRO again at balancing all these new tasks in my day.

It sounds so trivial and almost silly to even type, but it's the truth-it has been a real mental battle for me to learn that all life's little puzzle pieces weren't going to fall into place each and every day: and that it's OK if they don't.

Ive stressed for weeks that I havent gotten to blog, and that all my blog buddies would think that I had reached the end of my blogging days...which is so not the case. So that stress had to fall into the lesson of time management: I would get to it when I could, and that was OK! And I have to laugh, because as I sit here typing--I am sitting on the couch with the O-man asleep on my chest--this is multitasking at its sweetest.

And life moves at warp speed most days, and I dont even get a chance to look at my daily planner (yes, I still have one) It's amazing how much time can go by just sitting on the couch, while I cuddle this precious gift.

I really do appreciate all of the comments and thoughts on "My Girls"...we made the decision that was best for our family, and we've made it work. The O-man is doing well--can.not.believe. he will be 2 months next week! We've had to take him back to the pediatrician twice in between these monthly appointments due to the abundance of vomit that was landing on me and our couch. Poor guy has inherited his daddy's acid reflux issues...so we've had him on some meds for the past 2 weeks, and he's doing better--just means more frequent feedings for us, since we have to reduce the amount he gets at each feeding. But he's not having any growth issues-he's almost 11 lbs!

And life in general is finally leveling out--I am almost caught up from what I didn't get done before O-man got here--including the nursery! The piles of papers, laundry baskets and other misc tasks are being taken care of...but only when Im not spending precious moments with my 2 boys. I know I need to treasure all of those moments. The piles can wait.

My health: slowly but surely getting the energy back. At my post partum checkup everything went well-all my girly parts are back in place, and my OB said I could "return to normal activity" I have to continue iron pills for 6 months to get my anemia under control. He cleared me to do what I needed to do to get my back feeling better--I think Im going to stick with exercise and accupuncture for now. And about 2 weeks ago I had to go to an alergist--I was breaking out in a rash on my hands: turns out Im allergic to lanolin.

As far as those classes Im currently taking-some days I feel like Im barely passing..and there are some days I'd honestly give myself an A+...so there again lies the balance. Im sure Ill be touching on each of those more specifically over the weeks/months to come...but the final exam is coming up for that literature class: and I don't know how to prepare for it. D-Day is April 1st (how fitting) and that's this coming week. I don't know how I can go back, but I also don't know how we can make it on one salary. Big dilemma.

I have enjoyed starting out my Saturday blogging--I think I'll be brave and go ahead and give myself an A+ for the day!

30 comments:

  1. I still haven't quite gotten the time management part of this down yet. Some days I have it and then I lose it again. :) It sounds like things are going great there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your decision about returning to work.

    I am glad you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad both you and the O man are doing well! You're right, those piles can wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You get an A+ for sure. That literature class will suck, but you will figure out how to study for the test, I just know it. Hugs from me and B!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time management is definitely a big issue for me, too. It's definitely not the easiest thing to remember that the world won't fall down around me if I don't get the laundry put up or the tables dusted.

    Good luck with deciding about work.

    I'm so glad that you're all doing well and that the health issues are all being controlled. Way to grow little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still trying to figure out how to manage everything as well. It's not an easy task.

    You sound like you're doing a fantastic job.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you guys are doing so well. Time management is always an issue...even when you get it down, something can throw a wrench into it.

    Good luck with returning/or not to work. It is hard either way--but you will manage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for multitasking! Yes, you get an A+.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing harder than figuring out how to parent, how to be a good partner, and how to manage work, the house, and a social life with a new baby. By the end of the first year, you will feel more like a parenting genius.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, time management. Please let me know when you are passing that class. . . maybe you can help me with my homework!

    As someone who just finished my own literature course, I just say listen to your heart. In the end, I tortured myself for nothing, because I really knew what I had to do.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah yes...I'm still struggling with the time management. I hope you find something that works well for the work situation. I still find myself teary eyed some mornings when returning to work - and I'm only going 2 days a week. I'm glad you and the little one are doing well. So little O man and Brynn can be reflux buddies...sound good? ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the most surprising things to me about parenting was the fact that I could willingly abandon my need for a plan when it came to spending time with Lemy. Its almost to a fault as I rarely clean the house as much as I need to between work and taking care of a very high maintenance little girl, but its all worth it. In the end, my house will be a wreck, the laundry will never be 100% done, and dinner may be late if not a little cold or burned, but that time--that precious, fleeting, irreplaceable time--with my little meatball is the most valuable time I have.

    Everything else can wait.

    Good luck with deciding to go back or not. Its SO hard, but I know whatever decision you make it will be the best for all of you. ((LOTS OF HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still am struggling with time management. I think it's just one of those things. I wish you lots of good luck with making your decision. Just like your girls, you will make the right decision for your family because -It's YOUR FAMILY and you know best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear you're all doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well I have missed your blogging but I totally get it!! Everyone has to find their own way. I mean it's not like kids come with a manual. At least you're having fun with all of it and not wondering what you got yourself in to. I agree that the day can fly by on the couch with a precious little person stuck to your chest. I could stare at Cailin for hours. Enjoy yourself and your family and the other stuff will fall into place. Can't wait to hear more... when you get a chance. :) Good luck with your life classes. Sounds to me like you deserve an A in all of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did you take that class "Can't even find a minute to wipe my ass clean?" I failed :)
    Glad to see an update missy! And that 2 months has almost flown by is just unbelievable!!! Sorry about the reflux issue for baby O- hopefully it can be managed and he will grow out of it. Miss you & glad to hear that you can 'resume regular activities' LOLLLLLLLLLL As if you have the time for THAT crap????? Jeez!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everyday is a struggle for me but it has improved - a lot - in 10 months. I wasn't prepared but I don't know if you can be. It's a huge adjustment but one of the best challenges I've ever faced.

    I have a feeling your "report card" will reflect all of your hard work and you'll make the dean's list!

    Good luck this week. I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck with your literature class! That was the hardest thing for me I do believe. I've tried it both ways, worked for a year, and have done the stay at home mom thing for a while as well. It's definitely something most moms probably struggle with. Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha! I'm pretty sure my papers were written the day they were DUE!
    Glad you managed your time well enough to post and keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Time management is hard and for me it has just gotten harder as the baby gets more active.

    Good luck with the work issue...it isn't an easy decision for anyone, but I'm sure you will make the best choice for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I worry about the time management class - I have always been very proud of my organizational and time management skills and am sure I'm not going to respond well to it all going to hell in a handbasket!

    That literature class is the toughest but I think you gave yourself some good advice in the beginning of the post: "I look back and wish I had been a little more carefree at times" - how will you feel about both decisions when you look back on them 5, 10, 20 years from now?

    You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I give you an A+ all around...sounds like you're doing great! Good luck with the work decision. I was kinda glad that I didn't have a choice and had to go back to residency- mind you, after 12 weeks- because I'm not sure what I would have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good luck with the job decision. It's SUCH a tough call. I change my mind almost daily.

    So glad to hear that you're doing well. And, it sounds to me like you've earned an A+ in everything. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is great to hear from you and know that things are going so well with your little one. Sending thoughts of strength your way on your return to work.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Even if we don't hear from you often, we know that you are busy taking care of your little one and know, no news is good news.

    Thinking and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I know what you mean about time management - I scarcely have time to blog or read blogs myself and feel bad about it! I'm also working on my return-to-work plan, which I am going to do in stages. Good luck with your decision.

    Babies certainly know how to turn your life upside down. I don't think I've ever felt a sense of accomplishment over emptying the dishwasher until I had MC. So getting a whole post out there - you go girl!

    I'm just proud to actually get in a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  27. A Lit class...really? I thought not to return to work/to return to work was a math class. ;)

    Anyhow...I feel your pain. Currently I am finishing up my degree AND parenting.

    Right now I am staring at a huge pile of papers that need to be read by Tuesday. Notice how I am blogging rather than reading them? =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Time management is an art you will be perfecting for the rest of your motherly life. And that's okay!

    I'm really behind on blogging and reading blogs too. Sam is nine months and at this point I don't think I'll ever get back to way I used to be. I'm still defining my new normal. It definitely includes less computer time.

    Whatever you decide about work and breastfeeding is going to be the right thing. Concerning work, nothing is set in stone. Give yourself room to breathe.

    You're doing a great job, JJ! O-man looks delicious, such a handsome little man he is.

    xo
    Flicka

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was excellent at time management in college. As a new parent...erm...not so much.

    Good luck with the work decision.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yeah, time management. Used to be great at that. Now? I just make a list of things I want to get done and give myself a pat on the back if I get just one of those things done in a week! (Hence, only catching up on your posts now).

    Hope going back to work wasn't too stressful for you. I'm just finishing up my first month back at work and there have been good days and bad days. But, the days always end with my little boy in my arms, so can't really complain, can I?

    ReplyDelete

There is nothing like a good pair of jeans; they shape us, support us and make us look our best. I'd love for you to share your jeans with me!